Monday, January 21, 2008

Suiting up.

Though I've never been a huge football fan, I tried to give an honest attempt at watching Sunday night's playoff competition (okay...in between grading papers, reading, and taking a nap). The 3rd coldest game in NFL history seemed to do little to sway the spirit of these fierce athletes. Each team played against the odds, against the cold; forging ahead with an unrivaled determination I watched with awestruck admiration.

This week I'm getting ready to play my own kind of game, though I have to skip the playoffs and head straight to the Superbowl. Physical preparation in not necessary for my match, instead mental rehearsal with insider interviews and advice, research and repetitive questions and answers are my pre-game strategies. In the end I hope my playbook will be full of profound and analytical responses, clever quips and a repertoire of solutions to our most quantitative educational dilemmas.

I can not yet be sure if I will prove victorious, though I can be fairly certain my game will run into overtime. The best we can do when we suit up for these competitions, is to keep the endurance alive within us, no matter how chilly the air gets, how bad our knuckles bleed, or how many opponents knock us over. Okay team... I'm ready. Let's win it.

0 comments: